Honoring Our Heros - A Sunset Ceremony
The Office of Veterans Support, which is part of the Long Beach Health and Human Services Department (Health Department), will host a free, family-friendly community event on Sunday, May 28
The Office of Veterans Support, which is part of the Long Beach Health and Human Services Department (Health Department), will host a free, family-friendly community event on Sunday, May 28 to commemorate Memorial Day. The inaugural event will honor military service members who have died, with several local historical, veteran-led and veteran-supporting organizations represented.
The program will include:
- Patriotic music provided by the Navy Band Southwest Harborside Brass Quintet;
- Flyovers with historic aircraft;
- Drills by Lakewood High School’s Navy Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps;
- An information fair and activities featuring the Historical Society of Long Beach, People of the Earth Krew and other local community-based organizations;
- A brief program, starting at 6:45 p.m., with guest speakers, including acclaimed artist Terry Braunstein, who created Navysphere, the large public artwork that is the centerpiece of the Navy Memorial, and keynote speaker Sergeant Major Charles Cook Jr. (US Marine Corps, retired), President of the Los Angeles Chapter of the Montford Point Marines; and
- At sunset, a flag ceremony and the playing of Taps to honor our fallen service members.
(Sunday) 5:30 pm - 8:00 pm
ShoreLine Aquatic Park
200 Aquarium Way, Long Beach, CA 90802